Theological Famine Relief Update
In 2014, we set up a fund for designated giving that would be used for helping bring relief to the theological famine of the Global South—approximately 85% of the 2.2 million evangelical churches in the world are led by pastors who lack sufficient training. Organizations like the International Outreach branch of The Gospel Coalition (TGC:IO) and Training Leaders International (TLI) have been working for years to help alleviate this famine.
We have recently funded a few projects, one of which is especially exciting due to its potential.
In December, our Theological Famine Relief Fund provided scholarship money for a ministry team in Latin America to receive online training in Bible study methods and exegesis through BibleArc.com. This web-based ministry provides excellent materials, resources, and tools to advance one's ability to rightly handle God's Word.
In January, long time ministry partner Dave Santos contacted us about an opportunity to serve pastors in Brazil. Dave is the in-country contact that we have sent Resolved: student groups to minister alongside over the years. We were able to provide a copy of Kevin DeYoung's Hole in Our Holiness to the attendees of a Brazilian pastors' conference.
And next week we will send two Kindles with the short-term team headed to Kenya to serve with Christ's Hope International. These devices will be gifted to ministry partners the team interacts with. Each presently have fifty books, confessions, Bibles, and statements loaded on them.
This is the project that has so much potential. One of the biggest hindrances to bringing relief to the theological famine in the Global South is just making the resources physically available (getting resources translated into indigenous languages is another). So on these two devices that barely take up any room in a carry-on is a full library! (See below for the full list of the library.) If these resources were to be transported in print, they would take up numerous, heavy boxes and cost over $1,300 each. Instead, each weighs under 7 oz and costs only about $150.
What makes them even more advantageous is that they are connected to a Five-Points-managed Whispercast account. This allows for us to continue to add more resources as funding and content becomes available to the devices that is automatically distributed once the device connects to a WiFi signal.
Be praying for these initiatives and for greater wisdom as to how we can partner with TGC:IO and TLI. Pray about how we might strategically send our pastors and Bible teachers or send Kindles with international business travelers to further alleviate the theological famine.
Here is the full list of resources currently included on the Kindles headed for Kenya:
- How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth, Gordon Fee & Douglas Stuart
- Christian Beliefs, Wayne Grudem
- ESV Global Study Bible
- Bible (ESV)
- Bible (HCSB)
- Calvin’s Complete Bible Commentaries
- The End for Which God Created the World, Jonathan Edwards
- The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit, RA Torrey
- Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners, John Bunyan
- Commentary on Genesis, Vol. II, Martin Luther
- Concerning Christian Liberty, Martin Luther
- Orthodoxy, GK Chesterton
- Confessions, St. Augustine
- Summa Theologica (four volumes), Thomas Aquinas
- Bondage of the Will, Martin Luther
- Institutes of the Christian Religion, John Calvin
- Selected Sermons by Jonathan Edwards
- Complete Works of John Bunyan
- Pilgrim’s Progress, John Bunyan
- A Vision for a Gospel-Centered Life, Tim Keller
- An Exposition of the First Epistle of John, AW Pink
- Chalcedonian Creed
- Charity and Its Fruit, Jonathan Edwards
- Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy
- Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew, Charles Spurgeon
- Effectual Calling and Regeneration, D. Martin Lloyd-Jones
- Expository Thoughts on the Gospels, JC Ryle
- Holiness, JC Ryle
- Introduction to the New Testament, Louis Berkhof
- introductory Essay to John Owen’s Death of Death in the Death of Christ, JI Packer
- Lectures on Calvinism, Abraham Kuyper
- London Baptist Confession of Faith
- Nicene Creed
- Sola Fide: The Reformed Doctrine of Justification, JI Packer
- Systematic Theology, Louis Berkhof
- Systematic Theology, Charles Hodge
- The Atonement, Loraine Boettner
- The Gospel of Jesus Christ: An Evangelical Declaration
- The Inspiration of Scripture, Loraine Boettner
- The Literature and History of New Testament Times, J Gresham Machen
- The Mortification of Sin, John Owen
- The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination, Loraine Boettner
- The Reformed Faith, Loraine Boettner
- The Sermons of Charles Spurgeon, Vol. 1
- The Trinity, Loraine Boettner
- Theology Proper, Charles Hodge
- Why Trust the Bible?, Greg Gilbert